How Do Nasal Strips Open Up Clogged Nostrils?
Nasal congestion from colds, allergies, or chronic conditions can make it hard to breathe easily. Nasal strips offer an affordable over-the-counter solution to open up clogged nostrils and improve airflow. But how exactly do these adhesive strips work their magic?
Nasal Strip Design
Nasal strips contain the following components that allow them to mechanically dilate the nasal passages:
- Adhesive material to adhere gently across the nose
- Flexible band made of plastic or spring steel
- Soft pad to prevent irritation on the nose and skin
How It Works
When applied properly across the bridge of the nose, the flexible band fits over the nasal contours. The springy band gently lifts outward, acting as a splint to pull the nasal skin open similar to the dilation specula used by doctors.
This expansion widens the nasal valve area and supports the nasal sidewalls, preventing them from collapsing inward. Opening this key airway allows more airflow to pass through the nose.
Benefits of Nasal Strips
By mechanically opening nasal airways, strips can provide:
- Relief from nasal congestion
- Easier nose breathing
- Reduced mouth breathing which dries the mouth
- Less snoring from improved airflow
- Better delivery of inhaled medications
Nasal strips offer a simple way to open clogged nostrils without drugs. The innovative adhesive band design makes it easier to breathe freely.